Penn Foster in my opinion via experience is a very bad scam school that attempts to sound legitimate but beware and do not sign with them. Once you sign a contract it is like signing a deal with the devil. They will destroy your credit and put the low life collection agencies on you if you are late on a payment and Penn Foster will no longer communicate with you.

You lose your job, have two deaths in the family, get ill, and are broke, they don't care, they will not work with you at all and if you can't make a payment they will slap on major late fees and then with no warning sell the debt to a collection agency and cut off communication with you.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE! THEY ARE ONLY AFTER YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE STUDENTS. SIGN UP WITH A REAL SCHOOL IF YOU WANT A REAL, RESPECTED EDUCATION.

Comments

I am currently a penn foster student and so is my cousin. We have NO problem with them what so ever!

They are always Polite to me when i call them! i am Actually finishing up one course and they allowed me to start my associate degree in medial assit. while in the last few courses of the one im in now! I Recommend Penn Foster!

Great School! Great People.!!!

It is very difficult to find a school or program that trains people to become dog trainers. I'm hoping this one will do the trick.

I plan to open my own training facility one day, too.

#204175

I I'm not sure about their other career training programs, but my younger brother earned his HS Diploma from them, and went on to attend technical school here in Washington. Not sure about their other programs though.

I had to let an employee go today because the Penn Foster high school diploma is not recognized by the state of Ohio as legit and therefore cannot be used to satisfy the requirement of a high school diploma for working in a preschool.

to Fil's wife #1248115

According to the State of Ohio, Penn Foster is a recognized school. If you let someone go, it was for other reasons.

Why oh Why didn't i just finish high school the good old fashion way....grrr

There's so many "fake" schools online, it's hard to tell which one's are real and which ones are not...

I think this is ***. That school is a big help.

You just probably didn't like it.

They are a great school. :p 8) :grin :)

I think this is ***. That school is a big help.

You just probably didn't like it.

They are a great school. :p 8) :grin :)

ummmm... i just want to get my diploma, i have completed high school i just could not pass the math test, so now i have to start over!

sooooo should i

get it through penn foster??

i mean i hear good and bad about ALL schools! but every one is talking about penn foster why?

if they are a scam will they not get in troble?????

i guess you would want to get a college degree if you have chosen to get the high school diploma through penn foster, so ..why not just contact the admissions department at whatever college you plan to attend and ask them if they would accept your diploma from pess foster, thats what i did and i contacted 2 colleges and they both said that they would accept a hs diploma from pess foster..so i think some of you are just being to nagative

Ive been studying with them and have had no problems.

These supposed/real/physical/ actual schools arent all that. Theyre expensive and the students come out and dont seem to know about anything except getting drunk(this coming from at least 10 different friends of mine who are employers). Maybe companies need to stop recognizing these so called *real* schools, which are and always have been a business.

Hello, I was researching PF because it is the school that an applicant stated they were attending. I don't know anything about PF, BUT, I do know about the BBB. The last place I worked had a great BBB rating. I was a manager there. I did marketing, we brought in a LOT of money in a short time (roughly $600k in 2-3 months). But when things slowed, subcontractors started showing up complaining about not getting paid. Customers started calling upset. (The owners now had new BMW's, Mercedes, Beach House, etc) Red flags started popping up everywhere but by that time I was owed $5-7k. I got out only about $2k short,and within a week of my leaving, there was an expose' done on this place on the local news station. Soooo, to share...

1.) BBB is a service that the business/school PAY for. If you wree the BBB and you had a school PAY You, would You give Them a bad rating? (Keep in mind, morals are aren't most businesses strong point)

The owner of the company had been in trouble before for similar activities, yet they had a great rating (one reason that I thought they were a good company to work for).

2.) If it seems like something fishy is going on, it probably is, TRUST YOUR GUT!

My brother in law went threw this school with two children and a wife with a mortage and all the usual bills, while being in debt. He enjoyed it and now enjoys a good life as an HVAC technician.

You get what you pay for. While it is cheap, not everyone can afford it while paying bills. Most americans live paycheck to paycheck and will never get out of debt. so basically, don't try something that you haven't researched first.

I have looked into this school and no, i am not an employee or getting paid to say this, it is an accredited school and is recongnized by some companies. not all, but enough to find a job when you are done. Oh, and the BBB does rate this school at an A+.

SO take it as you will, i am signing up and doing this cause i have a child on the way. ANd i want it to have a better life than i did.

I have been researching this school that my friend spoke so highly of and then now he told it was the worst mistake ever.

Any of the man-up statements have to be from the Penn Foster payroll responders. My friend let hear a phone message and it was the most rude and uneducated person in saying the word alright after each word they spoke and we have been replaying for a bunch of friends as we have been trying to finger out if it is a guy or girl and we laughed until we cried. It honestly sounded like a school ran out of a nail salon with. He is saving the message to post on his website because it is so funny hearing someone talk to a answering machine like it is a live person that could answer them. Now that is their account managers.

I have 18 years of management experience for a fortune 500 company and we do not recognize most online schools unless it is out of a University like Phoenix Univeristiy or any of the major Universities that have began to offer online education distance learning degree programs. I get resumes with people who have invested time and money with these career institutes and online schools like Penn Foster and unless that person has real experience that we need in a specialized field, we don't call them, because we don't recognize the degree.

Now having been a manager who has had to lay-off many good hard working people who carry degrees from very prestigious Universities with many having their Masters, I see them do the smart thing and priotize the basic needs of Shelter, Food, Medical and Clothing...living expenses and secure their retirement funds.

When I was young I used to work for a collection department for a large company and you grow very hard hearted, take no prisoners, everyone is just another sob story, and I had a guy tell me one day on the phone that he hoped that I would have my car repoed one day and I told him that would not happen to me, because I paid my bills. I learned two years later when my company shut down the branch I was working out of and I had great credit, tons of credit cards, and an apartment. Then at the loss of my job, where I made bonuses off of every person I could collect from and let me tell you, I am ashamed to have worked in that field because we were taught that every person was just a dead beat and we did not follow the laws, we called after hours, would get people on the phone then use scare tactics in saying whatever I had to say to get money from them. The sweetest thing was getting a bank account number and then pulling out all the money they owed and that meant a bigger bonus check and probably left a poor soul with no money and no telling what it could have done to them.

Anyway I learned what goes around, comes around. I was the guy on the phone trying to save my only car and no one cared and the guy who wished that it would happen to me and me making the rude statement that it would not happen to me and I thinking about everytime I hear the cocky people who say man-up, you deserve it for not paying your bills. Cheap statements by people who have lived a spoiled life and are really the low lifes.

I would say that I now have compassion for people and yes, there are some people out there who can, but don't step up to the plate. But I have learned that life can throw anyone a curve ball and friend if you lose your job or find out you have cancer, I want to see what you would do...would you man-up and say oh, I better pay this online school instead of paying for medical treatment so I can live to return to school, get a job, and become something great.

I amazed at how ignorant people are! But the fact is, people no longer care about anyone but themselves and I would say in this economy, everyone is taking credit hits and not to even worry about the collection agencies, don't take their calls, throw their letters in the trash, and focus on what you need to do to ensure you are meeting your basic needs. Everyone should have at least $1,000 in an emergency fund/savings account before you even sign-up for any school. The foolish people are the ones who go out and run up debt, like my friend who has $159,000 in student loan debt where she is an attorney now who attended a Texas A&M and if you are planning on getting a real job, then go with a real college, but that does not mean you have to burden yourself with a debt.

If you don't think that schools like Penn Foster are not paying people to sit in front of a computer all day to attack anyone who feels they have been taken advantage of and then place praises on the school, then you are a fool. College is a business and the bottom line of business is to profit. But when you get hundreds if not thousands of complaints against one business, then there is something wrong with that business.

I have also noticed that Penn Foster is a school that many students are High School students that think they are getting College hours while in High School. Some Colleges have an earlier start program, but most require a High School Diploma, that you take the SAT, and then the their College entrance exam to be accepted. Then a real college will let you drop a class and depending how far along you are, you may be entiled to a partial refund.

Any college or school requiring you to sign a contract, I would beware of. Then if you see mass complaints on service or especially collection agencies, and also look at if it is one or several collection agencies they deal with.

A word about Collection Agencies, do not trust them. Once you have been placed in collections, it is on your credit report and they will flat out lie to you to get your money. In reality a collection agency can't do much other than annoy you, they can't legally call your employer or place of work, they can't call after 9:00 p.m., and they can't garnish your wages, you have the phone and you are in control. If they violating the law which 99% of them do and are fined, then you need to report them to the FTC. Also schools like Penn Foster that are doing preditory practices, you need to report them to the FTC and the BBB.

CURRENT STUDENTS WOULD HAVE NO NEED TO BE ON THIS WEBSITE POST DEFENSE FOR THE SCHOOL, IT WOULD NOT EVEN CROSS THEIR MIND. THINK ABOUT IT. PEOPLE DEFENDING PENN FOSTER ARE EITHER EMPLOYEES OR ARE FINANCIALLY BENEFITING FROM PENN FOSTER.

LOOK AT THE POST FROM "STUDENT OF PENN FOSTER COLLEGE THAT I QUOTE "Sounds like you need man up and follow through with what you have committed too. I'm sure they've heard the death story many times!" THIS IS A EXTREMLY SORRY EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN AND A WASTE OF SKIN TO BE SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT SOMEONES LOSS DUE TO DEATH AND I BET THIS CAN BE LINKED RIGHT BACK FROM A PENN FOSTER EMPLOYEE. PEOPLE THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING IN A BIG MESSAGE WRITTEN ON THE WALL ABOUT THIS SCHOOL AND THE PEOPLE ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

My jaw drops at that statement, and in life we are judged by what we say and do and everything comes home. This is a bold statement that I would fear God in not making such cruel statements. This person has no class and a low life if they can make such a statement. It is also the type of person who you will see in life as someone who will never become anything and when their time comes, will anyone even show up to their funeral. I feel sorry for this person, I am glad I don't know them, I would not want to know them, and I for sure would not ever hire them.

I GUESS THIS IS THE A PERFECT PICTURE OF THE QUALITY OF A PENN FOSTER STUDENT, THEY ARE NOT MAN ENOUGH TO MAN-UP TO PUT THEIR NAME, BUT THEY ARE PROUD TO SAY THEY ARE A PENN FOSTER STUDENT THAT HAS DISRESPECTS ANOTHER PERSON AND FAMILIES LOSS OF LIFE. WHAT A PIECE OF TRASH.

I pitty anyone who is scammed into Penn Foster and honestly the FTC need to launch an investigation and any employee IPs that are committing fraud in stating these claims are setting Penn Foster up potential lawsuits.

Maybe when hard times hit those making these harsh statements will in defending Penn Foster having to add an attack on another student, will be told themselves to Man-Up.

I am not going to sign-up with Penn Foster after what I heard first hand and was not even going to respond, until I read this post. If you are smart enough to be reading this in doing due diligence says that you smart and are smart enough to find a quality school.

to Hank Henry #1561267

It’s not a comment. Some long boring memoir. Didn’t have enough patience to finish it.

I am in the Penn Foster program now and i started back in October 09. I will be completing my courses soon and have not had one problem at all.

The people that post problems is maybe because they expect some one to feel sorry for them because it is recession time for some.

or maybe because they don't read the policy and procedures in the handbook before going any further, or they don't meet deadlines or cutoffs. But i think Penn Foster is a good school

Neunkirchen, Saarland, Germany #111242

My question is with all these complaints against PF and the suspision of PF employees writing all the counter comments why does the BBB still give PF an A+ rating?

And for the originator of this complaint. Doesn't it only cost like $500 on average to attend this school? If we were talking about the $10,000 I lost for attending BCTI in Oregon then you have a legitimate reason to complain.

Penn Foster Must Have People on the Payroll! I have found several site complaining of Penn Foster Practices.

Man-Up...I like that from those who probably have not faced difficulty other than the wrong food order or a broke finger nail. People sign up for things that they can afford at the time and then lets say you have a medical crisis, accident, family crisis, or job loss and you don't have any money because the medical bills are now first priority and are in fact heading towards bankruptcy. And you say Man-Up and I say Grow-Up to you! Becareful how quick to judge another, because you may find yourself in the same situation. I had an illness that put me in the hospital for $80,000 in medical bills and ID Theft...so hmmm...lets see Man-up by not getting my medications to pay some rinky *** school that would not work with a the person. We are not talking Yale here which we know by the post that saying Man-Up can't afford.

Also folks, you get what you pay for. Any school that charges $50 per month, may be accredited by certain accredited programs that could be from Nigera, but a majority of companies will only recognize and are very particular about the colleges they accept. There is a reason you are paying $50 over $1200 per class.

But if you take the approach of not signing up since it is less than $50, well circumstances change, which in this economy everyone should understand, unless you still live with mommy and daddy and I would assume if you truly stand behind the statement, that you did not finance a car, rent an apartment or house, have a credit card...because you would pay for everything in full at the time of signing,if not that is a foolish statement. Because I would bet money that if your car was about to be repoed, your house foreclosed on, you needed a emergency medical treatment, that a school would be the least of your worries. If not, then you need much more help than an online school.

I am glad people post information to help others make an informed decision, and shame on those who judge others. I can always tell by reading a post of who has real life responsilibities or have wisdom from facing adversity in life and those that live in tunnel vision.

Just wondering.....I am on this site because I am researching Penn Foster...if all of you students are on here defending Penn Foster for being a great school....why are you on this website? Just curious.....sounds to me like Penn Foster pays for people to some here and post comments to dispute everything negative that is said. Not worth it to me to even waste my time with PF when there are better options out there.

I personally have been late on a payment or two, I have never had an issue with the school. They called me and were very understanding!

They have always been very friendly and professional. When you sign up for this school like any other school you are entering into a contract, If you do not commit to your contract of course they are going to take action. I agree with the above student, awesome college!

P.S. Sorry for the loss of a loved one!